This quick HOW-TO will cover what to do if you WMI counters are not reporting data.
This will cover what I've done to fix theses errors when using PRTG Network Monitor from Paessler.
The error code that I got was:
After looking, I found that the WMI performance counters were "corrupt" and needed to be rebuilt (or at least that's what I gathered from the information I found).
Depending on your system (which should be x64) you will need to run the following.
- Open a command prompt as administrator
- Run "lodctr /r" from the "C:\Windows\system32" directory.
This will probably fail with the message: "Error: Unable to rebuild performance counter setting from system backup store, error code is 2"
- Switch back one directory by typing "cd .."
- Switch to the "SysWOW64" directory by typing "cd syswow64"
- Run "lodctr /r" from this directory.
You should get the message: "Info: Successfully rebuilt performance counter settings from system backup store"
- Now you should run "winmgmt.exe /RESYNCPERF" to resync your performance counters.
After this, you should no longer get this error.
I hope this helps.